[Phys-L] the ultimate causative agent was global temperature reduction (see Paleocene–Eocene Thermal Maximum). Re: snowball Earth

"The collection at that time went from the small four-toed forest-dwelling Orohippus <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orohippus> from the Eocene <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eocene> through three-toed species such as Miohippus <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miohippus> to species more like the modern horse. By looking at their teeth he could see that, as the size grew larger and the toes reduced, the teeth changed from those of a browser to those of a grazer. All such changes could be explained by a general alteration in habitat from forest to grassland.[citation needed <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Citation_needed>] And, it is now known, that is what did happen over large areas of North America from the Eocene to the Pleistocene <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pleistocene>: the ultimate causative agent was global temperature reduction (see Paleocene–Eocene Thermal Maximum <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paleocene%E2%80%93Eocene_Thermal_Maximum>). The modern account of the evolution of the horse <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evolution_of_the_horse> has many other members, and the overall appearance of the tree of descent is more like a bush than a straight line."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Henry_Huxley <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Henry_Huxley>

What we are doing is only slightly less rapid than asteroids, and vulcanism. No?

bc