Re: [Phys-L] Phys-l and the scope of content

On 2021/Feb/08, at 11:03, Mark Kimball via Phys-l <phys-l@mail.phys-l.org <mailto:phys-l@mail.phys-l.org>> wrote:

I do worry that too much of this
will cause some to unsubscribe.

IIRC, the only time we’ve had kerfuffles were related, not politically, but to non-mainstream physics. JD being the principle “corrector”. e.g. “Don’t feed the troll”.

Wishing to know if Mark’s fear had occurred, I crudely looked at the posting for Jan., April, July, Oct. 2019, and Jan. 2020;

Then Jan. this year, and Oct. last year.

The number of posters were, respectively, 10, 8, 5, 9, and 21 For the succeeding months the new posters (after the first month [10]) were 5,3,4,11.

The recent set: 17 and 12, W/new people being 5 and 2.

My conclusion is not to worry, though, IIRC, one or two people have, W/disgust, asked to be removed during the recent one or two years.

bc

A BTW, I was banned from tap-l twice; the last time permanently. The first time I think was, inter alia, because I corrected the list owner, off list, his claim that a particular US fighter aircraft won the war. The Soviets essentially won the war at the battle of Kurst well before the Normandy landings. Approx. 3/4 of the German casualties were due to the Soviets, etc. The second time was when a poster asked for donations to a scout troop, I replied I’d not donate, because of their homophobia. Of course, I’m wrong, as the scouts not the abusers would receive the donations.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/18/us/boy-scouts-bankruptcy/index.html <https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/18/us/boy-scouts-bankruptcy/index.html> Great example of Reaction-Formation.

https://cla.purdue.edu/academic/english/theory/psychoanalysis/definitions/ <https://cla.purdue.edu/academic/english/theory/psychoanalysis/definitions/>