Re: [Phys-L] Inverse Square for reflected light (Scott Goelzer)

You have to measure the full path from the light source to the mirror and then to the light meter. If you just measure the distance from the light meter to the mirror, doubling that distance is not doubling the path length, i.e., the distance to the virtual image of the source.

On 12/8/2021 12:00 PM, phys-l-request@mail.phys-l.org wrote:
Today's Topics:

1. Inverse Square for reflected light (Scott Goelzer)

Message: 1
Date: Wed, 8 Dec 2021 11:34:57 -0500
From: Scott Goelzer <s.goelzer@comcast.net>
To: "Phys-L@phys-l.org" <Phys-L@Phys-L.org>
Subject: [Phys-L] Inverse Square for reflected light

I wanted some opinions or confirmation about some results of an optics experiment some of our freshman devised.

In the first part, students were tasked with proving the inverse square lab using a Pasco light meter and a standard ray box. No problems - reasonable and expected results were obtained by varying the distance.

Student were then asked to devise their own experiments to test inverse square law. Two groups decided to measure the intensity of reflected light from a plane mirror as a function of distance. They were puzzled (as was their teacher) with very linear results. At this time, I believe the groups did a reasonable job taking measurements.

There is surprisingly little about this effect on any physics site, but some photography sites confirm the effect without explanation.

Best explanation I could give was that the mirror was not functioning as a point source any longer and was producing effectively parallel wave fronts.

Any ideas?

Scott

Scott Goelzer
Physics, Engineering, & Chemistry
Coe-Brown Northwood Academy
Northwood NH
sgoelzer@coebrown.org

The information contained in this email is confidential and may contain proprietary information. It is meant solely for the intended recipient. Access to this email by anyone else is unauthorized. If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution or any action taken or omitted in reliance on this, is prohibited and may be unlawful. No liability or responsibility is accepted if information or data is, for whatever reason corrupted or does not reach its intended recipient. No warranty is given that this email is free of viruses. The views expressed in this email are, unless otherwise stated, those of the author and not those of Coe-Brown Northwood Academy. Coe-Brown Northwood Academy reserves the right to monitor, intercept and block emails addressed to its users or take any other action in accordance with its email use policy. If you believe you have received this email in error, please contact sgoelzer@coebrown.org.