Re: [Phys-L] big circuit

There is an extensive literature on this topic.

Although for most of us our first acquaintance with the Poynting vector was for EM waves, Poynting’s original paper* included a discussion of “A circuit containing a voltaic cell”.

I have compiled a bibliography on this topic. I anybody would like a copy then please contact me.

* Poynting J H (1884). "On the transfer of energy in the electromagnetic field". Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society 175 (II) 343–361.

Cheers, Ian.