Re: [Phys-L] NGSS and kinematics

To paraphrase a famous saying:
I'm not opposed to all standards;
I'm opposed to dumb standards.

That should go without saying, but I don't want anybody to
get the wrong impression. I've done a fair bit of teaching
to the test, namely a federally-created federally-mandated
test, and I'm 99% happy to do so, because it's a good test.
Sometimes bureaucrats do a good job. The test is ipso_facto
the standard, and is sometimes called a standard, but it's
not "just" a standard; it's very much a test. I add some
special topics, and I tighten things a bit so that even if
the student has a bad day they're still well within the
envelope, but mostly I teach to the test.

I /tell/ students that such-and-such special topic is not
on the test, and explain why it's important anyway.

In contrast, NGSS is not a good standard. Really not.