[Phys-L] Fry Cutter Physics

Hi all,

I bought a Garde brand fry cutter and had an experience similar to what this guy had when I went to cut some sweet potato fries. Actually, as you will see, he had a staff of two doing the cutting.
Bill

This might be a fun way of familiarizing students with force, density, momentum, levers, summing forces, vectors etc.
Also students can be asked, for example, if a “checkered” blade that cuts 3/8” fries requires x Newton’s of force, how much force would be required for the 1/2” blade?

After they have struggled with this problem for a lab period, they can be led to electric fry cutters, iwhich DO cut sweet potato fries, and DO NOT cost a fortune:

Search online for electric fry cutters, some of which state that they do cut sweet potatoes.

Bill Norwood
U of MD Physics
at College Park
1966 - 2018