[Phys-L] Coriolis effect

In the upcoming Earth/atmosphere topic, I'm trying to teach "basic"
information about the Coriolis effect in my high school astronomy class.
Basic. Book says hurricanes spin CCW in the northern hemisphere and CW in
the southern hemisphere. True, but why?

So I did some research about the way winds deflect when moving toward the
poles and toward the equator in both hemispheres as a result of the Earth
spinning eastward. Some of the information/diagrams were
confusing/contradictory - right, left, eastward, westward, etc. Did not
fully explain how the spin happens.

Is the hurricane rotation direction because the poles are at a higher
pressure than the equator? Or that hurricanes generally move away from the
equator in both hemispheres?

Anyone have a good source/reference/diagram/video of this topic?

--

<http://www.pds.org>
<https://www.facebook.com/princetondayschool>

*CONFIDENTIALITY NOTE:*
The information transmitted, including attachments, is intended only for
the person(s) or entity to which it is addressed and may contain
dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon
is prohibited. If you received this in error, please contact the sender and
destroy any copies of this information.

Please consider the environment
before printing this email.