Re: [Phys-L] A Journal of the Plague Year

On 3/2/2020 1:00 PM, Sam Sampere via Phys-l wrote:
I can't tell you how many faculty don't wash their hands after using the facilities. Blech! I've been doing the paper towel thing for years, where you take the towel with you and throw it out after leaving... no touching the door handle after someone didn't wash.
/snip/

Most visits to the rest-room are to urinate.
Most urine is sterile or low germ-count, WAY lower than mouth swabs. Flushing a toilet after defecating puts up a miasma which includes e. coli, it is true. Hand-washing puts up a miasma from the u-bend which has its share of bugs. Still hands retain or regain their bacterial count quite soon after a thorough hand-wash.  A small hand-sanitizing gel to carry in a pocket has its virtues.

Brian W