Re: [Phys-L] non-linear ears.

On 2020/Nov/15, at 12:03, Dan Beeker via Phys-l <phys-l@mail.phys-l.org> wrote:

Bill,

Speech is certainly degraded when wearing a mask. I hadn’t realized how much I depended on reading lips to fill in gaps in my hearing until people started wearing masks. Without visual cues I struggle in conversations. To understand what is said I now turn my radio and tv up until it is painful to others. I must now get very close to someone who speaks in a normal voice or I understand virtually nothing they say. Not a good thing to be doing in this time of covid.

Yes, to test this, I read, listen to TV W/O the video. The article continued that many will be surprised by how much they depend on the visual clue.

bc… not assisted much, as he’s brain damaged.