Re: [Phys-L] astronomy activities

We run a section or 2 (depending on enrollment) of Physics by Inquiry. The
astronomy by sight section uses shadow plots. The NSTA website makes the
initial step a bit awkward by suggesting cand and concrete and long dowels.
Then measuring over one 60 minute time period during local noon. The
Physics by Inquiry authors suggest using a nail stuck through cardboard.
Then measure every hour. I have my students measure in between each class
period. Each group discusses what they have each period, and which teacher
they feel will be more accepting of them doing this physics experiement and
being perhaps 2 minutes late to class. I send an email to make sure
teachers are ok with it. I like smaller methods for some labs to make
storage and lab prep work more smooth.
This replaces one challenge with another, but I like it.
I find the NSTA website
https://www.nsta.org/publications/interactive/aws-din/aws-u1a1.aspx to be
a little bit misleading. It mentions 3 common misconceptions.

- *The sun moves across the sky.*
- *The earth rotates in a clockwise
<https://www.nsta.org/publications/interactive/aws-din/glossary.aspx#clockwise>
manner.*
- *The earth is closer to the sun during summer and farther away during
winter.*

However, only misconception 2 can really be addressed by shadow plots.
Other misconceptions include the location of the sun rising & setting. Kids
often think directly east / west for sunrise & sunset. They also often
think the sun is directly above us (altitude 90 degrees) at noon. They
also commonly think the path through the sky is identical day to day. I'd
work on trying to hit those.

A bit off track. I intended to just check to see what I could add to what
we do.
Have a good one.

Paul Lulai
Physics Teacher