Re: [Phys-L] The traditional value of Pi is three!

On 2019/Mar/15, at 16:34, Anthony Lapinski <alapinski@pds.org> wrote:

I'm in a high school. Not doing any "research." I let the chemists deal
with precision. They spend so much time with sig figs, error analysis, etc.
Kids find it overkill. Not fun. We should be turning kids onto science at
young ages. I uses rounded values often -- gravity, planetary masses,
specific heats, densities, speed of sound, speed of light, etc. Measuring g
in classrooms is difficult if not impossible -- there are many human errors
(timing, etc.), air resistance, rotational/inertial effects from the Earth,
etc.

The exact point in "The pendulum—Rich physics from a simple system”

https://aapt.scitation.org/doi/10.1119/1.14703

g within 1 part in 10k.

bc reminded of Robert Frost asked about the “boring” elements of poetry. “We glory in it!”