Re: [Phys-L] causality

I feel an unreasonable sympathy for John's position on this issue, and I reflected on how this could be, when my usual response is neutral towards his persona.

I realized, at length, I am seeing a reenactment of the situation when I attempt to use fact in the face of deeply held attitudes - about politics, or gun regulations, for example.

Which brings me to my recognition of a well known feature of human cognition: we think of consciousness as a unitary thing, the location of our "self".
 But there are strands of cerebration which do not rise to our awareness, pulling at times in several directions. One reason we "sleep on it".
One reason we rationalize.

Brian W