Re: [Phys-L] Infrared

On 12/19/19 11:39 AM, Forinash III, Kyle via Phys-l wrote:

My question is, how is the IR emission from methane different than the IR emission from steam or hot air?

That's a reasonable question. I figured all along that was the
main issue.

As I said before: It makes a difference whether the source is
optically thick or optically thin.

They chose a wavelength where the atmosphere (even with nonzero
humidity) is optically thin.

Wet steam would show up on the IR camera, but there are other
ways of ascertaining that what you're seeing isn't wet steam.