My question is, how is the IR emission from methane different than the IR emission from steam or hot air? Does it only occur at 3.2 to 3.4 micrometers? When I first saw the pictures on the second two links I thought, oh that’s hot gas but it doesn’t tell us what the gas is. The buildings are hot and also emitting (bright) but they aren’t made of methane.

A couple of the comments on the third link seem to be from industry experts who also question what the pictures show.

Kyle

On Dec 19, 2019, at 12:00 PM, phys-l-request@mail.phys-l.org wrote:

Today's Topics:

1. Infrared (Forinash III, Kyle)
2. Re: Infrared (bernard cleyet)
3. Re: Infrared (John Denker)
4. Re: Infrared (bernard cleyet)
5. Re: Infrared (brian whatcott)

Message: 1
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2019 21:16:01 +0000
From: "Forinash III, Kyle" <kforinas@iu.edu>
To: "phys-l@mail.phys-l.org" <phys-l@mail.phys-l.org>
Subject: [Phys-L] Infrared

I?m a bit confused by the following New York Times article. They claim to be detecting methane leaks using IR cameras in the 3.2 to 3.4 Micrometer range. Wouldn?t such an image be overwhelmed by thermal IR? In other words the pictures are of heat, not methane specifically?

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/12/13/reader-center/methane-infrared-camera.html<https://www.nytimes.com/2019/12/13/reader-center/methane-infrared-camera.html?te=1&nl=climate-fwd:&emc=edit_clim_20191218?campaign_id=54&instance_id=14640&segment_id=19701&user_id=f3315a4f40ddaa91b46edcfed5881d14&regi_id=8509815120191218>
--------------
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts."
--- Mark Twain

Message: 2
Broken link, so I?ll just guess that ? this is an absorption band, so the background is the source and the methane blocks it, so it?s an area that looks black instead of bright. It?s just like dental x-rays and metal restoration, or an impland screw w/ a metal crown.

bc who first X-rayed his mechanical pencil 1954.

I?m a bit confused by the following New York Times article. They claim to be detecting methane leaks using IR cameras in the 3.2 to 3.4 Micrometer range. Wouldn?t such an image be overwhelmed by thermal IR? In other words the pictures are of heat, not methane specifically?

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/12/13/reader-center/methane-infrared-camera.html<https://www.nytimes.com/2019/12/13/reader-center/methane-infrared-camera.html?te=1&nl=climate-fwd:&emc=edit_clim_20191218?campaign_id=54&instance_id=14640&segment_id=19701&user_id=f3315a4f40ddaa91b46edcfed5881d14&regi_id=8509815120191218>

Message: 3