Re: [Phys-L] sig figs versus rational numbers

On 09/15/2017 11:33 AM, Karim Diff wrote:

When students ask me about that at the beginning of first semester physics
(the ones who've had physics in high school are particularly worried that I
don't bring it up) I usually tell them that I'll let my Chemistry
colleagues beat them on the head with that (and they do)😝

That's fine as far as it goes. Continuing down that road,
it may help to go into more detail about what they /should/
do (not just what they shouldn't do).

*) Separate the idea of number from the idea of uncertainty.
For example, 2.54 is just a number. In fact it is a
rational number, 254/100, exactly, by definition. This
number may describe some physics approximately and some
other physics exactly (e.g. 2.54 cm per inch) ... but 2.54
by itself is just a number, with no "implied" uncertainty
or any other kind of uncertainty.

Any finite or repeating decimal represents a rational
number, exactly. Conversely, any rational number can
be represented by a finite or repeating decimal, exactly.

You learned in third grade that 2.54 equals 254/100, and
the rules of arithmetic have not changed. Ask your math
teachers, if you dare, whether 2.54 equals 254/100 exactly.
They will wonder why you had to ask.

*) Very often, in class and in the real world, it is not
necessary to quantify the uncertainty, so long as it is
known to be /small enough/ i.e. within tolerances. Unless
and until you hear otherwise, you (the student) should
report temperatures within ±2 °C, mass, length, and time
within ±2%, et cetera. Use as many or as few digits as
you please, so long as the bottom-line answer is within
those tolerances.

The tolerance-based approach allows everybody to focus on
the physics, rather than on useless side-issues.

*) On the special occasions when we care about uncertainty, we
will use at least two numbers to describe the distribution,
perhaps in the form A±B, where A is the nominal value and
B is the uncertainty.

*) In all cases:
-- Separate the idea of roundoff error from overall uncertainty.
-- Roundoff error is an error.
-- Digits that serve primarily to reduce roundoff error
are called /guard digits/. Always use plenty of guard
digits, to ensure that roundoff error is small compared
to other contributions to the overall uncertainty. This
usually easy. "Extra" guard digits are harmless.
-- Using too few digits is often catastrophic.

*) Not all correct answers will be digit-for-digit identical.
This is normal. There is no problem, so long as they are
all within tolerances. Scatter in the data is normal and
unavoidable. Rounding off to the point where everybody
got the same answer would replace a small amount of scatter
with a much larger amount of roundoff error, which would
be very very bad practice.

Note to teachers: To facilitate grading, the answer key
should specify a /tolerance band/, i.e. the /range/
between the smallest and largest acceptable answer
... rather than specifying a single numerical answer.

*) When using a calculator, leave intermediate results in the
machine. Use the memory features if necessary. If you wish
to write down intermediate results, that's fine, but leave
them in the machine also. This provides roughly 15 digits
or more, which is usually plenty.

*) The usefulness of sig figs is exceedingly limited:
-- In cases where we don't need to quantify the uncertainty,
sig figs is not worth the trouble.
-- In more demanding situations, the sig figs representation
is too coarse. This degrades the uncertainty.
-- Sig figs requires you to round off too aggressively,
introducing intolerable roundoff error. This degrades
the nominal value.
-- It is madness to assume that roundoff error is the
dominant contribution to the overall uncertainty.
-- It is madness to try to represent two numbers (A±B)
using one numeral.

*) In real-world research labs, engineering labs, kitchens,
et cetera, people do not use sig figs. Don't worry about
sig figs. We have more interesting stuff to attend to.
Important stuff. Useful stuff. Physics!