Re: [Phys-L] Aeroplanes and air temperature

On 2017/Jun/21, at 11:34, Carl Mungan <mungan@usna.edu> wrote:

Interesting but complicated. We've got change in drag and lift. We've also
got to consider whether an animal can metabolically work harder (to flap
their wings) when it's hot out.

I'm pretty sure there is some top temperature limit for any given species
of bird, excluding short emergency flights.

I’ve only skimmed the posts, so I may be quite wrong. Drag is mentioned, but not completely explained. My knowledge of fluid mechanics (formerly hydrodynamics) is v. meager, however, I think there are two effects: the obvious density and dealt with, and the increase in viscosity. What portion of skin friction applies in contrast to form drag as applied to air craft, I don’t know.

bc