Re: [Phys-L] treating force as a vector ... consistently

While I did teach forces and a little energy before momentum, I would offer that students have a pretty good instinct about momentum (at least they know when they can safely interact with moving objects of different speeds and/or masses and when they can't). They do not have a good instinct about forces--having Aristotelian rather than Newtonian ideas. While some curricula try to do momentum first, I backed off on that because if you want to do collisions right away, you really need energy ideas which I suspect is why most intro texts do velocity, acceleration, forces, energy, momentum in that order.

rwt