Best

Joe

Sent from my iPhone

On Aug 23, 2016, at 11:27 AM, LaMontagne, Bob <RLAMONT@providence.edu> wrote:

The experiment is what it is. What is biased by theory is our interpretation of the result. That does not inherently stop someone who can think clearly enough to jump trough the restraints of the theory and perceive the underlying reality.

I accept that physics in it's current form is just a collection of models. I wouldn't present it any other way in my classes. But I see no inherent reason that physics cannot evolve (or that a new approach entirely may develop) to allow us to see beyond the models. Statements that we somehow never will move beyond models just seems to me to be pure opinion.

I find it fascinating that Newton was able to develop his physics from two entirely different approaches: geometrically and through calculus. To me at least, the ability of seemingly different models to come up with the same results seems to imply that an explainable reality is out there.

Bob at PC
From: Phys-l <phys-l-bounces@www.phys-l.org> on behalf of Joseph Bellina <inquirybellina@comcast.net>
Sent: Tuesday, August 23, 2016 10:56 AM
To: Phys-L@Phys-L.org
Subject: Re: [Phys-L] nature +- observations +- models

Bob,
I think there is a reason and it lies in the inherent inductive nature of science.
To be more specific, every experiment we do is biased by the theory that it is based on, and every theory is underdetermined by experiments. So we just muddle along, getting better, we hope, as we go.

best,

joe

Joseph J. Bellina, Jr. Ph.D.
Retired Professor of Physics
Co-Director, Northern Indiana Science, Mathematics, and Engineering Collaborative (NISMEC)
Consultant I-STEM Network
574-276-8294
inquirybellina@comcast.net