Re: [Phys-L] A beautiful (short) demo for sound and waves...

Understandably, lots of people (including me!) would like to have some
specifications for this demonstration, but unfortunately it's been very
hard to track down anything beyond the following facts I've pieced
together and now added below the video:

"It was taken for the purposes of demonstrating Helmholtz motion of a
bowed violin string, on which the G string was tuned down in order to
increase the amplitude of motion. This video was created with a high FPS
(Frames Per Second) digital camera as part of a PhD thesis at the
Laboratoire d’Acoustique de l’Université du Maine."

Better than nothing I suppose!

Thanks very much for those giving their comments about acoustics too
(something I know very little about).

Derek McKenzie
PhysicsFootnotes.com