Re: [Phys-L] nature +- observations +- models

-----Original Message----- From: Todd Pedlar
Sent: Tuesday, August 23, 2016 4:43 PM
To: Phys-L@phys-l.org
Subject: Re: [Phys-L] nature +- observations +- models

Perhaps I am guilty of being doggedly something, but - there is no sense in
which a model can BE reality. A model, ultimately, is a mental construct -
and, I'm sorry, but I might be doggedly repeating myself, but it is an
ontological fact that a mental construct cannot BE reality. Kant has a lot
to say about this in his Critiques, but this is probably not the place to
delve into epistemology. I've clearly said enough.
Todd,
THIS IS the place for epistemology.
What can we know and how do we know must underpin our physics learning and teaching.
Please keep being doggedly.

Bob Sciamanda
Physics, Edinboro Univ of PA (Em)
treborsci@verizon.net