Re: [Phys-L] physics without cross products

On 08/22/2016 02:40 PM, Moses Fayngold wrote:

If I understand correctly, the wedge product a^b of 2 vectors a, b is
synonym of their outer product as defined in geometric algebra (see,
e.g., Fig. 2 in [1]).

There are two problems with that.

First of all, Hestenes's terminology is highly nonstandard and ambiguous.
There is a centuries-old definition of outer product, i.e. tensor product,
i.e. V ⊗ W.

The wedge product V ∧ W is more properly called the /exterior/ product,
not the outer product. This is discussed in more detail at
https://www.av8n.com/physics/clifford-intro.htm#sec-outer

This conflict drives students crazy.

Secondly, the wedge product is not, by itself, a drop-in replacement
for the cross product.

As a super-important example, the volume of a parallelepiped is given
by the trivector A∧B∧C which is equal to A×B·C ... definitely not A×B×C.

The recipe for replacing cross products is spelled out at
https://www.av8n.com/physics/clifford-intro.htm#sec-cross-out-cross

The fact that by-vector a^b lives in (a, b)-plane does not eliminate handedness.

I disagree.

Just as the line perpendicular to (a, b) may have two opposite directions,
the parallelogram representing by-vector a^b is a 2-sided plane segment.
Calling the opposite sides "black" and "white" respectively, we have to decide which one of them will face,

In the immortal words of Smith & Dale: Don't do that. We do not need
to mark the faces. All we need is a sense of circulation around the edge.
The faces can be indistinguishable. They can be transparent.

There is some serious physics here. I have presented it in a way
that makes clear what the answer is supposed to be ... but there
are other ways of formulating the question that make it much more
mysterious. Here is a riddle posed by a young student:
https://www.av8n.com/physics/pierre-puzzle.htm

Reference [1]: D. Hestenes, Am. J. Phys., 71 (2), 2003

There's something wrong with that reference. I assume it refers to
David Hestenes
"Oersted Medal Lecture 2002: Reforming the mathematical language of physics"
Am. J. Phys. 71, 104 (2003)
http://dx.doi.org/10.1119/1.1522700
http://geocalc.clas.asu.edu/pdf/OerstedMedalLecture.pdf