Sent: Wednesday, August 17, 2016 2:00 PM
To: Phys
Subject: Re: [Phys-L] inertia and the tablecloth demo

Surfaces in contact don't have to be moving (relative to each other) for
friction to be present. This would be static friction. I have my students
draw FBDs for 5 cases:

1. push block on level table with constant velocity

2. push block on level table but it remains at rest

3. push block against a wall

4. block at rest on incline

5. block at rest on level table

This leads to a discussion of the two types of friction. Then, how it is
measured, coefficient of friction, etc.

On Wed, Aug 17, 2016 at 1:53 PM, Bob Sciamanda <treborsci@verizon.net>