From: Phys-l <phys-l-bounces@www.phys-l.org> on behalf of Bernard Cleyet <bernard@cleyet.org>
Sent: Friday, June 24, 2016 4:09 PM
To: Phys-L@Phys-L.org
Subject: Re: [Phys-L] train stopping distance

On 2016, Jun 24, , at 12:38, John Denker <jsd@av8n.com> wrote:

The coefficient of friction for steel-on-steel is on the order of 0.5,
so when you see an acceleration of 0.02 Gee you know they're not trying
very hard.

If I were the “engineer” of a passenger train, I’d make a quick decision as to the conflicting result(s) of a one g stop and the collision.

bc points out that passengers ina train aren’t using seat belts.

p.s. Also what about “floating" luggage?