Re: [Phys-L] another DIY relativity experiment

Regarding JD's comments:

Here's an example: Suppose we write a particle's energy and
momentum as
E = m cosh v [1]
p = m sinh v

and later:

-- it unifies the ideas of slope and velocity:
slope = tan θ in the xy plane
velocity = tanh -- it unifies the ideas of slope and velocity:
slope = tan θ in the xy plane
velocity = tanh θ in the xt plane in the xt plane

These two quotes are inconsistent with each other. In the first quote v seems to be claimed to be a velocity/speed, but is actually the rapidity of the boost from rest for the particle. In the latter quote that quantity is now designated as θ and its tanh is called the slope = velocity in the more conventional nomenclature. I fully agree with the overall thrust of JD's comments, but I don't think we should be conflating an (imaginary) angle with its (imaginary) slope.

David Bowman