Re: [Phys-L] gravitational waves

All analogies are imperfect. That's why we call them analogies
rather than copies or instances.

It helps to know in what ways the analogy is faithful to reality,
and in what ways not. Consider the blank space in the following
chart:

* ** *** ****
x xx xxx xxxx
+ ++ ++++
o oo ooo oooo
v vv vvv vvvv

Here the rows are faithful as to shape, while the columns are
faithful as to number. In this way we can communicate the idea
of "three plus signs" even if it is expressed directly.

This analogy is itself imperfect, insofar as "three plus signs"
could have been expressed directly. However, you can extrapolate
to physics, where a great many ideas cannot be so easily expressed,
and instead must be built up via a series of approximations and hints.

Still the point is that it is important to know in what ways
each analogy is faithful to reality, or not.