[Phys-L] definition of "wave"

On 04/10/2016 11:41 AM, Donald Polvani wrote:

It made me search through my introductory physics books to review the basic
properties of waves. The general consensus was that waves have three
characteristics:

1) Some type of disturbance is propagated at a FINITE speed.
2) The disturbance carries energy with it which, therefore, also propagates
at a finite speed.
3) If the wave disturbance requires a medium to propagate in, "particles" of
the medium only undergo short range motion as the wave disturbance passes.
The same particles do not travel with the wave over long distances.

I find it quite tricky to define "wave". The usual careless
definitions get into trouble because:
-- standing waves don't propagate at all
-- typical circular and spherical waves (unlike plane waves) do
not propagate without some change in shape.
-- some media are dispersive
-- some media are nonlinear
-- some media are dissipative
-- a wave is not necessarily repetitive

The best dodge I've found is this:
We define a wave to be something that exists as the solution
to a wave equation. It is best to focus attention on the wave
equation rather than the wave itself.

The wave equation must support some running-wave solutions,
even if not all solutions are of this form.

For examples and further discussion, see
https://www.av8n.com/physics/wave-intro.htm

If anybody has a better way of looking at this, i.e. simpler and/or
more correct, please let me know.