Re: [Phys-L] TWO QUESTIONS

Suppose our Sun is hit by a star of equal mass, traveling in the opposite direction.

Relative to what: the center of the Milky Way? In other words, what initial speed of the Sun are you supposing?

In any case, the Earth is going to get thrown into an entirely different orbit. So if you are supposing (are you?) that the problem is only about gravitational waves, it seems to me that’s pretty minor compared to what overall happens to the Earth. And that doesn’t even account for the deflection of the Earth by this incoming star before it even hits the Sun...

-----
Carl E. Mungan, Professor of Physics 410-293-6680 (O) -3729 (F)
Naval Academy Stop 9b, 572C Holloway Rd, Annapolis MD 21402-1363