Re: [Phys-L] gravitational waves

On 2016, Apr 08, , at 23:39, John Denker <jsd@av8n.com> wrote:

On 04/08/2016 08:35 PM, Ludwik Kowalski wrote:

The distance x, (between the two disk-like pistons in my model),
changes because the the source disk is oscillating. The gravitational
wave intensity, the amplitude of g(t), at any given x, is inversely
proportional to the x^2,

Suppose the source disk oscillates through a distance k.
I claim the amplitude of g-field oscillations scales like
k/x^3 (not 1/x^2). You can obtain that result via dimensional
analysis, or via a Taylor series : k (d/dx) (1/x^2).

This reminds me of the counter intuitive energy loss of an oscillator with quadratic dissipation for each cycle is proportional to the cube of the initial amplitude for each cycle.

This assumes a rather high Q and a short period oscillator.

bc