Re: [Phys-L] f'(t) / g'(t) question

Others have already given the answer. Note that g’/f’ = dg/df, which eliminates t as an explicit variable. This is a useful trick for solving differential equations.

This trick can be generalized to partial derivatives. Here is a neat example with obvious relevance to thermo:

http://www.usna.edu/Users/physics/mungan/_files/documents/Scholarship/PartialDerivativeVanDerWaals.pdf

What’s interesting about this example is that the method of solution I present here, which I would argue is relatively straightforward and logical for a physicist, drives mathematician’s crazy. They insist on much more convoluted (call it rigorous if you don’t want to appear partisan) approaches. Go look up the original paper I reference at the beginning of this PDF to see what I mean. -Carl