Re: [Phys-L] gravitational waves

On 04/02/2016 08:29 PM, Ludwik Kowalski wrote:

two hypothetical pistons, also of very different masses, (M>>>m).
The S piston, in my model, creates a beam of gravitational waves
traveling along the x axis; the P piston is part of the detector,
measuring the beam intensity.

the two "pistons," in my model, are surrounded by a vacuum, where a
variable gravitational field is established, due to the mass of the
"oscillating piston S."

The word picture is too vague.

I tell students, whenever possible, draw the diagram. I've seen
too many students try to figure out stuff in their heads, in
situations where world-famous experts would have drawn the diagram.

The canonical Gedankenexperiment for launching gravitational waves
is a mechanical oscillator, i.e. two masses on a spring, oscillating
180 degrees out of phase so that the center of mass is stationary.
Meanwhile the canonical detector is two beads sliding on a stick.

M ↕ O
s |
s |
s |
s |
M ↕ O

The transmitter has a mass distribution with a changing quadrupole
moment. This is analogous to an electromagnetic transmitter that
has a charge distribution with a changing dipole moment. The
beads are what's important; the stick is just there so we can
define what we mean by "distance" without going crazy.

Transmitter plan B is to have two masses on a stick and spin it,
with the plane of rotation in the plane of the paper. Again
there is a changing quadrupole moment. This is analogous to
an EM spinning dipole.

→ |
M O
| |
| |
| |
| |
M O
← |

Of course you can spin the receiver also. If you spin it at just
the right rate, you get a synchronous receiver with enhanced
sensitivity.

Some decent animations of how the gravitational wave affects a
bunch of free particles can be found here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gravitational_wave#Effects_of_passing

In words: you're expecting a time-dependent tidal stress. If you
try to construct something simpler, you're just fooling yourself.
It's like trying to make a wave out of the Coulomb interaction.
You might be able to make something happen in the near-field region,
but it doesn't propagate properly. It's not a wave. In the far
field, it simply does not exist.