Re: [Phys-L] simulation of "bonding"

Very nice! I can't imagine a more elegant way to get this point across. (You can do some similar things with the Interactive MD simulation at http://physics.weber.edu/schroeder/md/, but there all the particles behave identically so you can't really focus on any particular pair.)

Dan

From: Robert Cohen <Robert.Cohen@po-box.esu.edu>
Subject: [Phys-L] simulation of "bonding"
Date: March 3, 2016 1:27:52 PM MST
To: "Phys-L@Phys-L.org" <Phys-L@Phys-L.org>

I wanted to show students how "bonding" releases energy but couldn't find any simulations online so I wrote one based on
Bruce Sherwood's programs (which I have found to be a great resource, by the way). Not sure if this is useful to anyone else but my students found it very useful and I figured I'd pass it on in case (a) anyone else wants to use them or (b) it doesn't really show what I want it to show and someone (in which case I am sure someone will correct me).

One simulation shows two particles under an attractive force, allowing for elastic collisions. They just continue to bounce off each other.

< http://www.glowscript.org/#/user/rcohenpa/folder/Public/program/chargepairinteraction>

The other simulation shows the same two particles but in a field of neutral particles. The two particles eventually "stick together" after transferring their energy to the surrounding particles.

< http://www.glowscript.org/#/user/rcohenpa/folder/Public/program/chargeinteractions>

Robert Cohen Department of Physics East Stroudsburg University
570.422.3428 http://quantum.esu.edu/~bbq East Stroudsburg, PA 18301