Re: [Phys-L] Graphite resistivity

I had a pretty good experience a couple weeks ago using regular 0.7 and
0.5mm HB mechanical pencil leads (actually it's great if you can also get
0.9 and 1.3 from the same company). Simply studying potential drop vs.
current for various lengths and for the different diameters enables a nice
verification of the relation between resistance, resistivity, length, and
cross-section. Equipment used: DC power supply, banana cables w/aligator
clip ends, micrometer for length and diameter measurements, DVM. Really
quite straightforward to vary the length of the 'resistor' and my students
did V vs. I plots for 8-10 lengths each, and for all four lead sizes.
Really nice and reproducible results.

TKP

On Fri, Mar 4, 2016 at 3:23 PM, Lulai, Paul <plulai@stanthony.k12.mn.us>