Re: [Phys-L] How to become a good theoretical physicist?

Before we go too far down this road, let me offer an
observation and a hypothesis: For starters, note that
there are verrry few theoretical chemists. With rare
exceptions (e.g. Roald Hoffmann), chemists are expected
to do their own experimenting /and/ their own theorizing.
Ditto for biology; for example, Charles Darwin did
plenty of fieldwork; he was not an armchair theorist.

Also note that many of the people we think of as
theorists have good connections to experiment, and
to industry. Planck invented quantum mechanics in
the course of answering a question that came from
the light-bulb industry.

We should consider the hypothesis that the world would
be better off if schools made less of a distinction
between theoretical physics, experimental physics,
applied physics, et cetera. In particular, Galileo
is called the father of modern physics, and indeed
the father of modern science, because he demonstrated
the tremendous power that comes from /combining/
experimentation with state-of-the-art mathematical
analysis and modeling.

I can't prove this hypothesis is true, but I've
never seen any good evidence against it, so we
ought to give it further consideration.

========