Re: [Phys-L] Spins First

Hi,

it common knowledge that electron has a spin and angular momentum, these are measurable quantities. However, whether electron is spinning or not, may not really be a physical question, at least for now. As far as I know, experiments cannot discern "the" size of electron; hence, electron can be treated as a point-like object. For what it is worth (which is not much :-)), I don't really believe that electron ultimately is a point particle. For one thing, Heisenberg uncertainty principle seems to be at odds with it.

To sum up, my point is the following: what would change in physics if we say that electron is spinning or not? If nothing changes, we have a question on semantics.

-----

About the site John D. pointed. I don't believe in ad hominen arguments. Nevertheless, one might wish to take a look at what RationalWiki says about the string theorist hosting the site. Of course, whatever RationalWIki says, does not invalidate his ideas on physics but it might be fair to say that his take on electron spin is not shared by many (most?) competent physicists working in the field of QM.

Regards,

Antti
Viesti on tarkastettu roskapostinsuodatus- ja virustorjuntaohjelmistolla.