From: Phys-l [phys-l-bounces@phys-l.org] On Behalf Of Anthony Lapinski [Anthony_Lapinski@pds.org]
Sent: Thursday, 22 May 2014 12:24 AM
To: Phys-L@phys-l.org
Subject: Re: [Phys-L] [SPAM] Re: solar constant

Thanks! Can you send me that article, or is there a web link?

Phys-L@Phys-L.org writes:

On May 21, 2014, at 5:04 PM, Anthony Lapinski
<Anthony_Lapinski@pds.org<mailto:Anthony_Lapinski@pds.org>> wrote:

The solar constant is around 1370 W/m2. I believe this is the average
value over the entire Earth in one year. I have two questions.

1. How can I find the approximate value on a given day at a given location
(latitude)? Is there some formula or way to estimate? I realize this might
not be easy.

which leads to:

2. Is there a "simple" experiment kids can do to measure the solar
constant (solar cell, heating water, etc.)?

This has some good concepts for energy, heat, and optics in both physics
and astronomy.

Long ago we developed a simple experiment to measure the solar constant:

“Solar Energy- How much do we receive?”
U.Ganiel and O. Kedem
The Physics Teacher- vol. 21, p. 573, 1983.

Uri Ganiel
Professor Emeritus
Department of Science Teaching
The Weizmann Institute of Science