Re: [Phys-L] [rete] Laboratory garbage

On 2014, May 08, , at 09:15, John Clement <clement@hal-pc.org> wrote:

Los Alamos lab used it for none,
so the director was Louie, and the janitor was Joe.

I was told no honorific title of Dr. (except MDs) at Harvard. Still true?

I have also seen this
problem in community colleges and private schools. A female friend
experienced that the secretaries in Houston Community College refused to
address her as Dr while addressing male colleagues as Dr. The Germans go
the other way and use academic titles even in social address.

Yes, I was a bit uncomfortable when often addressed as Herr Doktor Professor at the German language school in Dresden.
This also indicates the greater appreciation of academics in Europe than in the US, no?

bc, Grundstufe

p.s. Curious:

Herr Doktor Professor | Lamentations on Chemistry

http://gaussling.wordpress.com/2008/03/19/herr-doktor-professor/

No prob. for bc (from Keele, England)