[Phys-L] 30 Modeling Workshops for physics teachers: list of locations

[Physics ed colleagues: Will you please forward this to local high school physics teachers? and to your local science coordinator? -- Jane Jackson, ASU Modeling Instruction]

30 MODELING WORKSHOPS in PHYSICS NATIONWIDE
30 Modeling Workshops in high school physics will be offered this summer in states listed below. Most workshops are two or three weeks long.
Modeling Instruction is designated as an Exemplary K-12 science program by the U.S. Department of Education.
Modeling Workshops thoroughly address most aspects of high school science teaching, including integration of teaching methods with course content. Workshops incorporate up-to-date results of physics and science education research, best high school curriculum materials, use of technology, and experience in collaborative learning and guidance.
Participants are introduced to the Modeling Method as a systematic approach to design of curriculum and instruction. The name Modeling Instruction expresses an emphasis on making and using conceptual models of physical phenomena as central to learning and doing science. Mathematics instruction is integrated seamlessly throughout each course by an emphasis on mathematical modeling.
In each workshop, content for an entire semester course is reorganized around models to increase its structural coherence. Participants are supplied with a complete set of course materials and work through activities alternately in roles of student or teacher. Teachers use computers as scientific tools to collect, organize, analyze, visualize, and model real data.

Mechanics, Electricity & Magnetism, Waves, and Models of Light Modeling workshops are offered this summer at these locations:

Alabama: McGill-Toolen HS - Mobile

Arizona: Arizona State University - Tempe (mechanics, e&m, light);
Pima Community College - Tucson

California: Whittier UHSD (near Los Angeles);
Cal Poly - San Luis Obispo;
CSU-Fresno (in planning stages)

Florida: Florida International University - Miami (mechanics, light)

Illinois: Wheaton-Warrenville South High School, Wheaton (mechanics, e&m)

Indiana: Guerin Catholic High School, Noblesville

Kansas: Southeast High School - Wichita (mechanics, waves)

Kentucky: Western Kentucky University

Louisiana: New Orleans

Maine: Kennebunk - First Parish Unitarian Universalist Church

Michigan: Waterford;
Muskegon;
Roscommon

New York: SUNY-Buffalo State College (mechanics, e&m);
Teachers College - Columbia University (mechanics, light);
Millbrook School, Millbrook

Ohio: The Ohio State University - New Albany HS (mechanics, curriculum development);
Bowling Green State University

Pennsylvania: St Vincent College, Latrobe (near Pittsburgh)

In addition, 18 Modeling Workshops in chemistry will be held, and four in biology, plus a few in physical science. We hope to see you at a Modeling Workshop this summer!

Website: http://modelinginstruction.org/teachers/workshops
Workshop descriptions: http://www.phystec.org/pd/?set=Modeling

MODELING WORKSHOPS have these features:
* aligned with Common Core Math Standards and ELA.
* include all 8 scientific practices of NRC Framework for K-12 Science Education.
* address multiple learning styles.
* address naive student conceptions.
* collaboration, creativity, communication, and critical thinking.
* systems, models, modeling.
* coherent curriculum framework, but not a curriculum; thus flexible.
* compatible with Socratic methods & project-based instruction.
* science & math literacy.
* authentic assessments.
* high-tech and low-tech options for labs.
Models and theories are the purpose and the outcomes of scientific practices. They are the tools for engineering design and problem solving. As such, modeling guides all other practices.

TEACHERS SAY:
* In thirty years of teaching, nothing has impacted my teaching like the ideas I've learned in modeling. It is the best idea to enter the teaching methods I have ever seen. (Jane Nelson, retired national leader in physics teaching)
* Most useful course I have taken since becoming a teacher. * Thanks to taking physics modeling course work, I am highly qualified in physics.
* In the one year that I have been modeling, I have seen wonderful results.
* Modeling has changed the fundamental way I teach. I believe eventually, maybe even in our lifetimes, all science will be taught this way.
* We have had 3 physics teachers and 5 chemistry teachers enhance their professional development at your ASU modeling workshops. Modeling has made a world of difference in our science courses.