Re: [Phys-L] Lenz's law and conservation of energy

I would caution everyone about taking the discussions on this list as the 'last word' on any topic. 'Wrong' can be relative--wrong for the theoretical physics community, wrong for Cal-Tech physics majors, wrong for high school physics might be different--at least pedagogically (after all we DO still teach Newtonian physics). While we have a few _very_ smart people here, we do have disagreements between even them such as the discussions that recently went on between Sherwood and Denker where I'm not sure a definitive answer was reached. If you really believe a major error exists in a well-established book, you might want to give the authors (if still living) a chance to defend their position.

As I am apt to repeat often, consider your audience carefully and what they will do with your instruction and what they will do next (if anything) in the discipline.

rwt (who has changed _some_ things in courses due to discussions here.)