Re: [Phys-L] Bicycle question

On 04/01/2014 06:33 AM, Forinash III, Kyle wrote:

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/mathematical-impressions-the-bicycle-pulling-puzzle/

Here's a direct link to the original:
https://www.simonsfoundation.org/multimedia/mathematical-impressions-multimedia/the-bicycle-pulling-puzzle/

I haven’t had time to think about this carefully but it seems to me
there is something wrong with this guy’s explantation.

I don't see anything wrong? What am I missing? I'm usually
considered a champion nitpicker, but it seems to me the video
is correct, informative, and exceptionally clear.

FWIW I've been showing students the yo-yo version of this
idea for many many years.
http://www.av8n.com/physics/ill-posed.htm#sec-yo-yo

The video is correct that almost everybody guesses wrong
about such things.

OTOH there are *multiple* ways of getting the right answer.
The video discusses a couple, but there are more.