Re: [Phys-L] Bicycle question

I can see the conceptual difficulty of the graphic shown at 5:38 seconds into the video.
I rationalize the helpful demonstration this way: if I can move some part of a mechanism in a direction it would move naturally when going forward, then it will go forward. If there is a very low geared device where a part moves backward when the device moves forward, then a backward pull acts to move the device forward. Doubly helpful to notice that the direction of the pull with respect to the trajectory of the locus of the point at which the pulling string is tethered decides the resulting movement of the device.

Brian Whatcott Altus OK