[Phys-L] Curmudgeonly Comments Concomitant to Corrigan's "To Lecture or Not to Lecture?"

Some subscribers to Phys-L might be interested in an article "Curmudgeonly Comments Concomitant to Corrigan's 'To Lecture or Not to Lecture?' " [Hake (2014)]. The abstract reads:

Paul Corrigan has ably reviewed the contentious debate over lecturing. In the present article I borrow from and supplement Corrigan’s "Atlantic" article "To Lecture or Not to Lecture?" at <http://bit.ly/1cGQaKW> and his blog entry "Beyond the Lecturing Debate" at <http://bit.ly/1eKAR0A> so as to include discussion of the following:

1. Lecturing is prevalent but "active learning" is advised by researchers.

2. Nevertheless, some academics defend "lectures."

3. But such academics often advocate lecturing *along with* "active learning."

4. Corrigan distinguishes "lecturing" from "Lecturing."

5. Physics education research emphasizes *higher-level learning* and

distinguishes "lecture" from *passive-student-lecture.*

6. Positive and negative depictions of the lecture.

7. Depictions of "active learning."

8. Literary and YouTube criticism of the passive-student-lecture.

9. Nine anti-passive-student-lecture articles.

10. Twelve pro-lecture articles or books.

11. Should One Lecture or Not Lecture?

To access the complete 2.9 MB article please click on <http://bit.ly/1nA6z5e>.

Richard Hake, Emeritus Professor of Physics, Indiana University; Honorary Member, Curmudgeon Lodge of Deventer, The Netherlands; President, PEdants for Definitive Academic References which Recognize the Invention of the Internet (PEDARRII); LINKS TO: Academia <http://bit.ly/a8ixxm>; Articles <http://bit.ly/a6M5y0>; Blog <http://bit.ly/9yGsXh>; Facebook <http://on.fb.me/XI7EKm>; GooglePlus <http://bit.ly/KwZ6mE>; Google Scholar <http://bit.ly/Wz2FP3>; Linked In <http://linkd.in/14uycpW>; Research Gate <http://bit.ly/1fJiSwB>; Socratic Dialogue Inducing (SDI) Labs <http://bit.ly/9nGd3M>; Twitter <http://bit.ly/juvd52>.

"People have nowadays . . . got a strange opinion that everything should be taught by lectures. Now, I cannot see that lectures can do so much good as reading the books from which the lectures are taken. Lectures were once useful; but now, when we can all read, and books are so numerous, lectures are unnecessary." - Samuel Johnson <http://bit.ly/17PdW5Y>, via James Boswell (1791) at <http://bit.ly/qfDXPz>.

REFERENCES [URL shortened by <http://bit.ly/> and accessed on 15 Feb 2014.]

Hake, R.R. 2014. "Curmudgeonly Comments Concomitant to Corrigan's 'To Lecture or Not to Lecture?'," online as a 2.9 MB pdf at <http://bit.ly/1nA6z5e>. The abstract and link to the complete post are being transmitted to several discussion lists and are on my blog "Hake'sEdStuff" at <http://bit.ly/1mhTFxw> with a provision for comments.