Re: [Phys-L] [SPAM] Re: animal magnetism?

Think of it this way: you might call it the Financial Market Modeller's Peril.

You start with an experimental data set, it might be a time series of stock prices.
You then start to examine factors which may influence the observed changes. It is almost certain that you will find some time series which will some time delay will provide an excellent statistical fit. But because you have been bitten many times before (and likely as not you have an engineering or science background) you will run this predictor with a sequence of the same data set that you put aside for this purpose, and the statistical fit vanishes. To put it another cynical way: if you try hard enough you can justify linking any data set to another data set.

Brian Whatcott Altus OK