Re: [Phys-L] animal magnetism?

John, I suspect even a dog knows not to pee into the wind...

On Tue, Jan 14, 2014 at 10:03 PM, John Clement <clement@hal-pc.org> wrote:

Could it be a wind effect? Since the wind tends to blow from W to E this
would carry the scent to the side and predators of dogs would be more
easily
sensed than if the wind were blowing into the face. Of course one might
expect that a "tail" wind would be ideal. But perhaps the behavior is left
over and no longer has any survival value. Being able so sense the
magnetic
field does have some advantage in being able to navigate. I understand
there are societies where they use absolute compass directions rather than
referring to L or R and people in these groups always know the direction of
the compass points. Knowing this may be partially due to humans being able
to sense the magnitic lines. They pointed out in the article that there
may
be a magnetic sense in humans.

John M. Clement
Houston, TX