Re: [Phys-L] animal magnetism?

On 1/14/2014 1:46 PM, Anthony Lapinski wrote:
I've heard of birds flying along Earth's magnetic field lines for
navigation, but I am baffled by this recent story below:

www.livescience.com/42317-dogs-poop-along-north-south-magnetic-lines.html

True, there are interesting questions of purpose and mechanism, but the leading question would concern the survival value of such orientation. Given that dogs sample the odors of other animals, what competitive advantage might be gained in this way?

Brian Whatcott Altus OK