Re: [Phys-L] just for fun?

Let's start with a parable.

You may have heard that according to the laws of physics, if
you add heat energy to something, it gets hotter. So let's
do the experiment. In your home this weekend, set up a
heat-lamp so that it shines on the heating-system thermostat,
or set up a small electric heater so that it has the same
effect. We want a *small* amount of local temperature rise,
only a few degrees. Maintain it for an hour or two. Observe
whether the house as a whole gets hotter or colder.

The moral of the story is: Feedback loops are complicated.
Guessing and hand-waving will not get the right answer.

We know that the earth's climate system has all sorts of
feedback loops. Otherwise there wouldn't be ice ages.

I mention this because on 01/03/2014 03:09 PM, Richard Tarara