Re: [Phys-L] BP or CE?

On 2014, Dec 22, , at 16:03, John Denker <jsd@av8n.com> wrote:

boomerang
Mostly just a wing, plus some angular momentum / precession

Len Fisher in about fifteen pages explains well (at least to me, I think), plus some interesting lore, the flight of boomerangs, which are simply two wings. The explanation hinges on: (as JD wrote) one wing experiences more lift than the other and the resulting gyro action” does the rest. Other detail includes “dirty air” (One wing is in “clean air” the trailing in dirty air, hence less lift.)

How to throw a boomerang in “How to dunk a Doughnut”.

Dr Len Fisher | The Science of Everyday Life

http://lenfisherscience.com/books/the-science-of-everyday-life-an-entertaining-and-enlightening-examination-of-everything-we-do-and-everything-we-see/

bc prays he’s got it right.

p.s. re. angular momentum: lotsa drag, so the throw is tricky to obtain sufficient AM.