Re: [Phys-L] endless vortex lines

On 12/06/2014 02:10 PM, Chuck Britton wrote:

Does this Mathematical Result apply to tornadoes, hurricanes, bathtub
drains, coffee cups etc.?

The answer is "yes", as I mentioned previously.

I gave a mathematical answer to the mathematical question.
However it's not "just" a mathematical result. I should have
motivated it in terms of practical physics. I should have
anticipated the obvious follow-up question, which is why
anybody should care.

Just now I cobbled up an answer to this question. It turns
out there is a very nice connection to the physics of sports,
such as the "break" on a breaking ball. This example is part
of a larger pattern: often it is treeemendously advantageous
to keep track of the vortex lines as they exit one medium and
enter another.

A discussion and some diagrams are at:
https://www.av8n.com/physics/endless-vortices.htm

This is very new and drafty. I need to go back and add a
bunch of references. Still, I reckon an unpolished answer
is better than no answer.