Re: [Phys-L] half vortex ring

On 12/03/2014 05:35 AM, LaMontagne, Bob wrote:

I found this interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnbJEg9r1o8

Yes, interesting.

The presenter gives more than a "Gee-Whiz" explanation.

However, not an entirely correct explanation.

1) Tell me again why a vortex ring stays together? Really?

2) The words say "circular" but the image shows the fluid
flowing in a /helical/ pattern:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnbJEg9r1o8#t=0m42s

3) It is not even a law of physics but rather a theorem of
mathematics that a vortex line can /never/ end. Therefore
it is exceedingly misleading to suggest that there can be
any such thing as "half" of a vortex ring.

I would have emphasized that the vortex lines necessarily
form a complete loop, of which half is underwater.

Even then, it's so misleading that I would not show this
video to a student who was not already familiar with
regular old vortices in a homogeneous medium.