Re: [Phys-L] 9th grade energy resource projects

Hi James,
- Not exactly what you are asking for, but, being about conserving energy,
it could be better
- Over the decades I have noticed a complete absence of awareness and
tuition on the parts even of the physics oriented about energy involving
the human body, whether it involve heat or mechanical or chemical or
electrical types.
- Virtually no one realizes that a glass of cold water will require
substantial body energy to bring it up to body temperature, and
substantially more than that if it is ice water. That would, for example,
leave less energy for running, heartbeat etc. That might be critical for an
elderly or otherwise energy-challenged person.
- Exactly why might a person collapse after a heavy meal?
- Which persons might succumb sooner to hypothermia?
- By what percentage is the heart's work increased for a given exertion if
the blood vessel flow is through only half the nominal cross sectional area?

Just some ideas in an area where I believe that accessible research is
sorely needed. And many more such questions can be asked and researched.

Good luck!
Bill Norwood
U of MD at College Park