Re: [Phys-L] problems with the teaching of algebra

Some say that mathematics is studying (or playing with) Patterns.

Numbers often are a useful tool to Display or Explain the patterns, but the numbers are not the math (usually).

My wife & I find the Patterns of Numbers to be a good way to while away the hours when stuck in a boring environment such as the ER. ;-)